Don't get lost in space

Let us help you understand insurance a little bit better!

Table of Contents

Renters Insurance

Our goal at Glazd is to ensure that you and all of the tenants that live in your apartment building have an active renters insurance policy. This provides you protection for accidents that may be your fault, but most importantly it provides protection from your neighbors too. If someone in the unit above you overflows their bathtub, that water only has one place to go – DOWN. Your neighbor, who has a Glazd policy, will be able to file a claim which will help pay for damage to their unit and your unit. Your policy will help pay for any damage done to your personal property!

Policy Information

How are prices determined for your Glazd renters policy

Renters insurance premiums are determined by many different factors. Here are some things that will affect the price: 

  •  Your location! Living on the coast of Florida may be a little riskier than the middle of Wisconsin, therefore your price will likely be lower in Wisconsin. 
  • The more coverage you add, the higher your price will be. 
  • Increasing your deductible may help reduce the cost of your renters insurance policy. 
  • In some states, paying annually will reduce your policy cost – As high as 20% savings! 
  • Your insurance history may impact your price – the more claims you have the higher your premiums may be. 

Adding an Interested Party to Renters Insurance

Often, your landlord will require you to list them on your renters insurance policy as an “interested party”. This allows them to get notified if there are changes to it – meaning if you cancel your policy after showing them proof, they are likely going to receive documentation from the carrier about the change. Adding your landlord as an interested party can be a headache if you aren’t familiar with it. Getting a renters insurance policy with Glazd eliminates the work you have to do to properly list your landlord on your policy. 

Glazd automatically adds your landlord as an interested party on your renters insurance policy! 

Covered Scenarios

Your Glazd renters insurance policy is one of the most effective ways to reduce your chance of experiencing a financial hardship. Your renters insurance policy may cover situations where your personal belongings are damaged or stolen and may pay for damages that you’re liable for – such as accidentally starting a fire. Let’s go through some scenarios…

You left the pizza in the oven a little too long...

One of the most common causes of damage in apartment complexes are due to fire damage, costing $1.1Billion! 

So imagine – you come home late from work and don’t have the energy to make a meal. You turn the oven on and put in a pizza. In the meantime you sit down and relax on your couch… You’re jolted awake to the sounds of smoke alarms. You run over to your oven and frantically open the oven door. Smoke billows out, setting the sprinklers off in your apartment complex. This scenario happens far more than you think. Although the sprinklers saved you and your apartment neighbors from a fire, the sprinklers are going to cause damage to your stuff, your unit, and your neighbor’s units. Typical costs for a situation like this are in excess of $100,000. And just FYI, your landlord’s insurance policy isn’t going to cover your personal stuff – that’s not how their policy works. It’s also not going to cover your neighbor’s belongings either. As a matter of fact, your landlord will likely hold you responsible for paying the deductible on the insurance claim. If you’re uninsured, you’re probably going to be holding a bill in excess of $50,000. 

Your neighbor leaves their bathtub running and forgets about it...

One of the repeat offender stories that we’ve documented is the infamous bathtub bandit. 

Picture this, you’re at work and your landlord or property manager calls you. 

“Hey, so we have bad news. Your upstairs neighbor accidentally left their bathtub running and it turned their unit into a life size fishbowl. Unfortunately, the water flooded into your unit too. All of your stuff is likely damaged. Also, you won’t be able to stay here tonight, or for many nights until we repair the unit.” 

Uhmmm what?!

You need to be prepared for stuff like this to happen as a tenant. And the best way to prepare is by purchasing a renters insurance policy. You would be able to go right to a hotel and get a room. You’d also be able to get dinner on the way on the way there, and have this all covered. When you file a claim with your insurance company, they will reimburse you up to the limit of your Additional Living Expenses coverage! 

Your coverages
  •  Personal property damage: If your property is damaged, your renters insurance policy will cover the cost of the damage up to the limits of your policy.
    • Theft: This peril includes attempted theft and loss of property from a known place when it is likely that the property has been stolen, provided that a police report has been filed by the “insured”. This includes if items are stolen from your vehicle or even if you’re on vacation and they’re stolen during your travels.
  • Personal Liability: If you accidentally cause damage to someone’s property, your rental unit, or injury to someone and are held liable for it, your policy will cover the liability costs, including legal costs. Typical policies include up to $100,000 in liability coverage. 
  • Additional Living Expenses: If your rental unit becomes uninhabitable due to a covered peril, your renters insurance policy will cover your expenses until the unit is repaired – up to the limit of this coverage. Typically this covers hotel and meal expenses. 
  • Medical Payments: This type of coverage provides limited coverage for medical costs if a guest of yours is injured on your property. For example, it may cover the cost of an ambulance ride. 

When to file a claim

Knowing when to file a claim is an important aspect of having a renters insurance policy. Typically, you should file a claim when there is damage beyond your deductible. The deductible is the amount of money that you will pay out of pocket before the insurance carrier will kick in for the cost of the claim. For example, if you have a renters insurance policy and you accidentally leave a candle unattended, starting a small fire. Your policy will cover damages associated with the incident. Say your deductible is $500 and you cause $2,000 in damage. You will pay $500 for the deductible and the rest will likely be covered by your provider. 

How to file a claim

It’s important to consider when to file a claim – check the above section “When to file a claim“.

If you believe the damage is larger than your deductible, then you may want to file an insurance claim.

Glazd is partnered with multiple insurance providers. It’s important that you review your policy documents to ensure that you file a claim with the proper provider. You can find your policy number by logging into your Glazd Insurance Account.

For QBE Claims 

QBE provides 24/7 access through the following methods:

You can file a claim online by clicking here – FILE A CLAIM


Email: [email protected]

Download the Claim Form Here: ClaimSubmissionForm

Email submission provides an automated response confirming receipt and an identification number that can be used to track your submission.

Call:  844-723-2524

Water Damage Exclusions

When purchasing a renters insurance policy, it’s important to know what water damage perils are covered and what are not. 

Flood Damage:

Policies typically exclude coverage for damage caused by flooding. If there is damage to your personal property or the rented dwelling due to a flood, you would need a separate flood insurance policy to provide coverage. Flood means water that originates from water below the surface of the ground or surface level water due to a heavy rainfall. 

Water backup through sewers or drains:

You can endorse your Glazd policy with water back up coverage! Without the endorsement, damage caused by a sewer backup is excluded from a standard renters insurance policy. Water that overflows or is otherwise discharged from a sump, sump pump, or related equipment is also excluded from coverage unless the Water back up endorsement is purchased. 

Water Damage from Neglect:

Damage resulting from the insured’s neglect or failure to take reasonable steps to prevent or mitigate water damage may be excluded. For example, if a tenant fails to report a leak promptly and it causes extensive damage, coverage may be limited.

Earthquake and Water Damage:

Damage caused by earthquakes is typically not covered by standard renters insurance. If an earthquake leads to water damage, it may not be covered unless the policy specifically includes earthquake coverage.
It’s crucial to carefully review the terms and conditions of the specific HO-4 policy you are considering or offering to understand the extent of coverage and any water damage exclusions

Lease Requirements

Landlords and property managers often require tenants to purchase and maintain a renters insurance policy through the term of their lease. There are likely many reasons why your landlord requires insurance. Generally it’s so that you and the tenants around you are protected from any unexpected event/damage to you or your unit. When a landlord requires it in the lease, the tenant has to purchase it from an insurance agent. This process involves a lot of time, research, and understanding of insurance terminology. In addition, the landlord may require you to list them as an interested party on the policy, which requires another step for the tenant before moving into their unit. 

Glazd renters insurance provides you with all of the information you need to know about your policy and automatically lists your landlord or property manager on the policy. We understand that insurance can be complex and you want to get into your new place without a hitch. That’s why we’ve developed a program that caters to landlords and renters. Our partnerships with apartment communities allows us to streamline the renters insurance requirement by eliminating unnecessary steps and automatic updates of your insurance policy with your landlord.  

Renters insurance provides many benefits!

We are here for you when you need us most!

There is nothing more stressful than having to replace an item that is lost, stolen, or damaged. Whether it’s a laptop, cell phone, or even your bed; replacing these items is pricy. This is where renters insurance can come in handy. For a low monthly subscription charge, you can rest assured knowing that your items, no matter where they are, may be covered by your policy. It’s important that you read your policy carefully to understand what your coverages are and what sort of situations your property will be covered for. Not all situations provide you with protection, but most commonly you can expect coverage for your items from unexpected damage or theft. Below are common coverages: 

  • Theft of your property
  • Damage from  fire
  • Damage from smoke
  • Damage to your property from wind and hail
  • Vandalism
  • Lightning
  • Snow and Ice Collapse

Insurance doesn't have to be complicated.
Here are some common questions

The amount of coverage you need will depend on how much your belongings are worth. Insurance companies only pay out the amount of coverage that you choose when you sign up for the policy. Glazd highly recommends you do your due diligence and create a home inventory of your items and how much they are worth. This will help you know how much personal property coverage you will need, but it will also help you if you need to file a claim. When you document your belongings when you purchase your policy, it streamlines any future claim that you may have. 

Your landlord has coverage for the building you live in, but their insurance will not cover you or your personal property. For instance, if a tenant above you leaves their bath running and it floods your unit damaging your tv, couch, and bed; your landlord’s  insurance would not cover your stuff. If you have active coverage, you may covered in this instance. You may also have coverage if you had to stay in a hotel for a few days while repairs are done on your unit. 

This type of coverage helps cover medical expenses if one of your guests is accidentally injured in your unit. Your policy may help for things like: 

  • Ambulance rides
  • Dental work
  • Hospital stays
  • X-rays

This type of coverage helps pay for legal expenses, medical bills and other damages if someone gets injured at your unit and sues you. 

Glazd charges a 3 month downpayment when you purchase your policy. You will not be charged months 2 or 3. Monthly charges start in month 4.

For Example: if you select a policy for $13/month, Glazd charges $39 for the first payment. You will then start your monthly payments in month 4. 

  1. Take pictures of the things you own.
    1. Go into each room of your apartment including the kitchen and bathroom and take photos of your personal belongings. You should also take close up photos of the serial numbers(this will help if you need to make a claim). You may also want to shoot a video walk through of your apartment to help identify your belongings in your apartment. 
  2. Write down the value of your belongings.
    1. If you know the price of an item, document it.
    2.  If you don’t know the price of an item, you can look up how much it would cost to replace the item. 
  3. Receipts and proof of purchase
    1. Gather receipts or proof of purchase for the more expensive items in your unit(we understand you may not have this for all of your items).
  4. Save your inventory and store in safe place in case you do have to file a claim. 
  5.  There are home inventory apps that you can also use!

If you have a specific question, send it below!

Our support team is located in Middleton, WI.
Our office is staffed 8:00am - 5:00pm CST Monday - Friday.
Please allow up to one business day for us to get back to you!